Spike Lee’s Latest joint Chi-Raq portrays gang torn Chicago in the frame of ancient Greek play Lysistrata by Aristophanes. Much like Spike Lee’s other films this too is a must watch and here’s why.
- New Comer to the big screen Teyonah Parris of Hopkins, South Carolina takes the lead actress role of Lysistrata. She embodies the character fully from her detailed faces to the power in her voice and strut. Lysistrata’s powerful performance pulls you in from beginning to end.
- Casting, This movie is not amiss without its star studded cast including Nick Cannon, Samuel L. Jackson, Jennifer Hudson, and Wesley Snipes. These seasoned actors and actress bring the characters to life in an accurate portrayal of inner city Chicago.
- This film would not be a classic Spike Lee Joint, if it did not focus on major current issues. The film address the deaths of Trayvon Martin and Freddie Grey and raises questions about the prison industrial complex.
- Change starts at home. To change the world we must change our communities first. We have to change ourselves first to make a difference in society
- Lastly if you learned nothing else, know this, women hold the Power to make great changes. Only after the women of opposing sides decide to take a stand together, do other men and women realize the importance of the issues.
Check out the film yourself and leave me your thoughts below.