Have fun and invest in yourself this summer. Summer is my favorite time of year. Since I was a kid, I’ve always loved summer. Growing up in the south always made summer feel so long and I never wanted it to end. Long summer days give you plenty of time to get some work done and also have some fun. Even summer nights are filled with life.
Get out of your boring routine and have some fun this summer. Call up your friends and plan out a summer to remember! Make a summer Bucket list and don’t let Fall Start until each item is checked. See my summer bucket list below.
1. Read a good book! Join my summer book club! This summer, I’ve been inspired by the “Lemonade Syllabus” to get more reading in. Currently I’m reading, The Truth About Awiti, a novel by CP Patrick, that tells the story of an immortal black woman who has lived through the initial slave raids of Africa and is still alive today. The next book on my list and first book for the ReCreatingHerStory Summer Book Club is Sassafras, Cypress and Indigo: A Novel by Nztozake Shange, the same author of, For Colored Girls Who have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf. Subscribe to my newsletter for weekly updates!
2. Learn to meditate! Meditation is a new skill I’m trying to crack. I often find it hard to nap during the day even when I carve out the time because my mind is so busy. Meditation helps me filter out unnecessary and damaging thoughts to focus solely on myself. After meditating I find my mind is clearer, I feel calmer and I often have a flood of writing ideas.
3. Take a yoga class! You won’t regret it! Yoga has been the best thing I’ve rediscovered. Much like meditation, yoga forces you to focus solely on yourself and your body. When practicing yoga, you will find that once you’re relaxed you can stretch your body comfortably in any position. Physical flexibility creates a space for you to be more flexible, which can translate to your life.
4. Take a trip to the beach! It’s not summer without a trip to the beach. On a great beach day, filled with sun, sand and just the right amount of waves you can’t go wrong. Whether you are swimmer or sun bather a trip to the beach with ‘Bae” or your friends is not to disappoint.
5. Throw a party! The summer should not end without either throwing a party or attending one awesome party. Get your best friends together and plan the most epic get-together with music, food and party games. Be sure to include Drake’s “Views” on your mix list, make some Jell-O shots and other alcohol treats if your into that and get “Black Card Revoked” for a night to remember!
Get out of your comfort zone a little this summer by trying new things and giving a second thought to some things you said you would never do. What activities are on your summer bucket list?