The everyday functions of life can sometimes bring on stress and anxiety. When that happens, it’s time for a change of scenery. The chance to get away from my normal routine of people and things gave me the opportunity to self-reflect. Last Spring, I took a getaway trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico. I had always been afraid of change, but this was the perfect time to do something new and different. What was the worst that could happen? I had been drained emotionally and mentally, so why not? I really needed to get away from the negativity.
The main reason for this trip was for self-reflection. While I was there, all of my stress and anxieties withered away. While on this trip, began to realize how I had let my dreams and goals slip away from me. Most importantly, I learned that focusing on myself, loving myself and the life I’ve been given is all too precious. I could now revisit what my purpose was in life. It was time to believe in me again. I could learn how to enjoy life and love every bit of it all over again. Now was the time to be open to life’s journeys, to be okay with mistakes and learn from them, to take risks, to do things I’ve always wanted to do and make all of my ideas a reality. It was time to embrace who I was becoming, and accept who I was no longer. All of the negative thoughts and fears were replaced with positivity and faith. I was able to find my peace and happiness again. With a clear mind and spirit I thought about these things:
- The world is beautiful. There is so much more out there to do and see. Explore it while you can.
- Take some time to self-reflect while you’re away. What are some things you’ve learned about yourself? Did those things harm you or help you? What experiences have you had? What life lessons did you learn from them?
- Believe in yourself. The key to having great self-confidence is believing in yourself, even if no one else does. The more confidence you have in yourself and what you can do, the less the opinions of others will matter to you.
- What is your purpose in life? Being in a new environment allows you to put your goals and dreams back into perspective.
- Out with the old, in with the new. Let go of old habits, people, and behaviors that don’t serve you. Replace them with positive thinking, self-love, an open mind and like-minded friends (old and new) that bring support, love, and happiness to your life. Embrace the new you.
- Have fun and unwind. You’re on a trip for a reason. Enjoy good food and good people. Let your hair down and go crazy, but not too crazy!
- When you’re at peace, nothing can break you away from it.
Honestly, taking that trip was one of the best experiences I’ve had this year. Ever since I came home there’s been this inner glow in my spirit and it’s been there ever since. The great thing is, I want to travel the world even more now! My goal is to take a trip once a year to unwind. Where will you go to get away?